Colonel William Williams (1710-1785)
Colonel Williams was one of the first settlers of Pontoosuc Plantation, and for may years it most highly educated person, having graduated from Harvard. He was three times married, two of his wives being interred in this cemetery. It may be interesting to note that one of his children, William Pepperill Williams, with his wife and children entered the Hancock Shaker Community.
In 1754, during the second French War, he constructed Ft. Anson on the shore of Onota Lake. On July 5, 1758, he commanded a regiment which took part in the attack on For Ticonderoga. In 1760, he erected on the street which now bears his name, a two story structure known as the “Long House.”
Through his influence with Gov. Bernard, when the town was incorporated in 1761, it was renamed Pittsfield, after the English statesman, William Pitt, Earl of Chatham.
He was judge of the court of common pleas and of probate, Piffsfield representative at the general court and also at the framing of the state constitution. He served in all town capacities from hog reeves to selectman, laid the original roads – in short – he was everything.