The Martin Memorial Chapel was dedicated on October 17,1900 by Mary Martin Clapp, fifty years after the opening of Pittsfield Cemetery. The chapel is a memorial to Mary’s father, Calvin Martin, who was one of the original incorporators of the cemetery.
The cathedral glass windows were designed by Edward Peck Sperry, who was described in the Berkshire Evening Eagle of October 17, 1900 as “one of the best known artists in colored glass.”
The west window depicting the appearance of the angel in the garden of the angel in the garden of Gethsemane following the Resurrection, is a memorial to Mary Martin Clapp’s husband, Edwin Clapp, who served as cemetery president for many years.
The exterior stone is Great Barrington Bluestone. The interior wood trim is cypress. The original pulpit was polished brass, with a pulpit chair and marble topped table of Chinese teak. The pews were of Elmwood and the floors hard Southern Yellow Pine covered with a heavy green Brussels carpet (most likely imported from England).
The need and desire for services held in the Chapel diminished and were finally discontinued in the late 1950‘s. However, future plans for restoration are in the works.
Information compiled by Martin Lageveld