(413) 447-7953
203 Wahconah St, Pittsfield, MA 01201

John Chandler Williams December 8, 1755 - April 3, 1831

John Chandler Williams (1755-1831)

In Park Square there is a marker commemorating John Chandler Williams who gave the land to the town, and his wife, Lucretia, who saved the famous Pittsfield Elm from destruction. He was a Harvard graduate and on of the prosperous lawyers in the early days of Pittsfield. He and many of his college mates were at the Battle of Lexington.

He conducted his business as Lawyer and Magistrate in an office in the northwest corner of his residence, the “Peace Party House,” formerly located at East Street, and Wendell Avenue.

It may interest the women to note that the first carpet covering a whole floor in the Village of Pittsfield was laid in the Williams parlor.

He was busy in all phases of public affairs. He died on April 3, 1831.